Agriculture Trade Expert (MDF)
Company OverviewPalladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and RoleProject
Palladium manages the Market Development Facility (MDF) on behalf of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT). MDF is a multi-country facility, currently operational in Fiji, Timor-Leste, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Papua New Guinea.
The aim of MDF is the creation of additional employment and income earning opportunities for the poor in the above countries, through partnerships with both the public and private sector. These partnerships are developed with the aim of triggering lasting systemic changes in market systems so that long term, sustainable growth is created in these sectors.
One area in which MDF is focused is increasing the volume of sales of existing agricultural products, through the identification of export pathways for commodities currently in production by a large number of farmers. Market access provides farmers with incentive to improve productivity or change practices in order to achieve economies of scale.
We are currently seeking an Agricultural Trade Expert to lead a study aimed at defining the route to export for selected agricultural products that have already been identified to have high potential. This study will involve identifying destination markets, the type and level of pre-processing and necessary partnerships.
ResponsibilitiesThe Agricultural Trade Expert will lead the study, focusing on a list of commodities which will be finalised prior to commencement of the project. This assignment will be conducted in four stages over a period of 25 working days (maximum). These 25 days will include work on a preliminary assessment, primary research in Timor Leste, stakeholder engagement and report preparation and finalisation.
Some of the key responsibilities of the role will include the following:
- Identification of suitable markets, taking account of logistics, shipping and official trade relationships;
- Analysis of import trends and readiness for the target products;
- Reviewing export support infrastructure;
- Identification of specific destination markets for niche/high value products;
- Identification and recommendation of value chain partners;
- Carrying out estimations of projected export volume;
- Initial investment planning to guide the understanding and comparison of relative return on investments.
- Significant private sector experience in import and export of agricultural products in Asia (China, Singapore, Hong Kong) and/or Australia, ideally with a tertiary qualification in agriculture.
- Active network of contacts in international agriculture trading (i.e. shipping, quality control, importers)
- Excellent professional knowledge on global trends and practices in agricultural trade;
- Prior experience in engaging with policy makers and government organisations o trade policy;
- Prior experience in trading to/from developing country context;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Excellent organizational and project management skills;
- Good written and verbal communications skills in English; Ability to communicate in Tetum or Bahasa Indonesia will be an advantage.
- Ability to commit to a minimum of 25 days input.