Budget Team Lead - Nigeria State to State
Company OverviewPalladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and RoleThe purpose of the State-to-State (State2State) contract is to increase the effectiveness, accountability and transparency of selected state and local governments (LGAs) in Nigeria. This will be achieved by strengthening systems to improve the delivery of services in key sectors (basic education, primary health care, and water, sanitation and hygiene - WASH); increasing the efficiency of key governance operations (with a focus on public financial management [PFM] and procurement, as well as monitoring and evaluation); increasing government's responsiveness to citizen needs and priorities; and improving government and civil society capacity to manage conflict.
- Oversee specialist budget planning and administration staff across States, including providing mentoring and training as necessary
- Assess capacity of key Nigerian government institutions and stakeholders in budget planning and administration at State and LGA level
- Design and tailor technical assistance interventions in conjunction with capacity needs
- Ensure quality and consistency of technical delivery and support to State and LGA level government counterparts
- Directly provide technical assistance in budget planning and administration, budget transparency and procurement reform to officials at the State and LGA levels
- Coordinate international and domestic STTA providing support to implement workplan activities
- With MEL Director, continuously monitor and report on technical assistance, success and program learning
- 5 or more years of experience with issues of budget planning and administration in Nigeria, ideally working directly in a budget office or similar government role;
- Extensive technical expertise as well as management experience in the areas of budget planning and administration, budget transparency and procurement reform
- Thorough familiarity in designing and providing training to State and LGA government officials;
- Deep knowledge of capacity challenges, needs and opportunities in budget planning and administration
- Experience working with international donor agencies, with a strong preference for experience with USAID in Nigeria and in the particular State