Chief of Party - Rwanda
Company OverviewPalladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and RolePalladium is seeking a Chief of Party (COP) for an anticipated USAID-funded project in Rwanda. The purpose of the project will be to facilitate the emergence of a dynamic off-farm sector that can generate more and higher wage employment for the broad majority of Rwandans currently engaged in subsistence agriculture and other marginal economic activities. The activity will achieve this by alleviating constraints to entrepreneurship, in particular but not exclusively, constraints to finance.
ResponsibilitiesThe Chief of Party will be responsible for the overall technical and administrative management and implementation of the project and will be the senior in-country project representative with overall responsibility for supervising project staff, and managing relations with partners and sub-contractors, both international and local, and achieving the set results. The COP will take a leadership role to coordinate program activities among a diverse group of stakeholders and beneficiaries.
The COP will be based in Kigali, Rwanda and will be reporting to USAID and Palladium's home office Project Director.
- Oversees a large, complex program to create a competitive off-farm employment and private sector enterprise development that leads to poverty alleviation and increased employment
- Has ultimate responsibility for project successful implementation: oversees and ensures timely project implementation, monitors activities, and manages and mentors project staff and subsidiaries
- Leads technical direction and strategy development for the project implementation, as well as the overall financial performance of the contract and ensures a robust and adaptive knowledge management and M&E system
- Oversees creation and implementation of project monitoring and evaluation activities, and the development and implementation of work plans
- Confers with USAID management on strategic issues to maximize impact and scale, minimize costs, and ensures both efficiency and sustainability in achieving project requirements
- Supervises program progress and coordinates program activities across Rwanda
- Ensures that technical, financial, and administrative activities are carried out according to USAID and Palladium's policies and procedures
- Ensures the appropriate implementation of accounting, personnel, IT, and operating procedures are consistent with Palladium policies as well as tailored to meet local needs
- Works with staff to recruit, hire and manage national staff and consultants as needed to carry out activities
- Manages in-country staff to ensure that the project is producing all deliverables;
- Oversees preparation of reporting obligations including quarterly and annual reports
- Works in partnership with a Home Office Project Director, engaging in frequent, routine communication so that the home office is aware of both progress and potential issues, and solicits assistance and input as needed to ensure that performance meets or exceeds technical and financial contractual requirements
- Manages subcontractors, both international and local, to ensure that their performance meets or exceeds technical and financial contractual requirements
- Is responsible for maintaining and nurturing Palladium's relationship with USAID
- Supports implementation of Palladium's security protocols and provides leadership in handling security-related issues. Addresses local staffing and personnel issues related to security
- Ensures successful project relationship with local governments/ministries, private sector, NGOs, and other stakeholders
- Represents the project in local, national, and international meetings and events as appropriate
- Masters Degree or higher in economics, international development, finance, business, or in a closely related field is required.
- A minimum of 12 years of experience working in economic development, at least eight years of which have been spent in COP or Team Lead level positions, or their equivalents
- Five years of prior COP experience on complex USAID Economic Growth Contracts is highly desirable
- At least 7 years of senior leadership experience on a USAID program of similar size and complexity addressing economic development issues, as well as enterprise development and access to finance
- Experience establishing and strengthening productive and collaborative relationships with government counterparts, local organizations, private sector, and other donor organizations
- Experience working for large donor organizations such as USAID and knowledge of USAID contract management, policies, procedures, regulations and reporting requirements
- Experience supervising personnel and ensuring they acquire the necessary training and skills to meet evolving program needs
- Strong leadership, program, organizational management and oral and written communication skills
- Fluency in English is required; knowledge of French and Kinyarwanda would be a strong asset
- Prior work in Rwanda and/or the wider region is highly desirable