Chief of Party
Company OverviewPalladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and RoleThe Chief of Party is a full-time position for an upcoming award in Burkina Faso and Niger to strengthen and improve the quality of health, family planning and nutrition services provided by local clinics and referral centers. It will also strengthen government systems of support and oversight for village health workers, community engagement in health service delivery accountability, and assist in developing linkages among health services and with other development sectors. The mechanism will provide a means of involvement and collaborative ideation by a wide spectrum of participants from family planning, maternal child health, nutrition, communities, and the health sector. Palladium is hiring a Chief of Party to lead and provide strategic direction for the RISE II Health Services Delivery (HSD) Activity. The Chief of Party will be responsible for the overall managerial and technical leadership of the program, client relationship and reporting, personnel, stakeholders, administration, finance and procurement.
Reports to: Project Director
Duration: 5 years
Location: Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
- Provides overall leadership, strategic guidance, vision, and management to staff and the overall project
- Ensures the strategic and functional integration across both countries of all technical areas as well as strong collaboration with donors, other implementers, and local counterparts
- Is responsible for meeting contractual obligations, producing deliverables and targets, and achieving project results as specified by USAID/Senegal
- Oversees project planning, contributes technical expertise as necessary to ensure RISE II HSD implementation, with a focus on results and financial accountability for all project activities
- Provides strategic vision on program sustainability and resilience
- Leads and advises on best governance principles, including ownership, inclusiveness, transparency, accountability, integrity, and ethical standards
- Balances the interests of various stakeholders and supports participatory governance through multisectoral partnerships
- Manages relationship with USAID, ensuring all reporting is completed in a timely way
- Coordinates with other local USAID representatives, USG projects, as well as other development partners to ensure collaboration, integrated approach, and complementarity of the interventions to add value to service delivery improvement and health systems strengthening
- Establishes quality control standards in-line with the country and USAID standards
- Communicates/works with health sector leaders in Burkina Faso and Niger, including MOH, subnational health sector leaders, and key stakeholders at the national level
- Supervises RISE II HSD Country Directors and high-level non-country-focused project staff
- Represents the project to senior policymakers and in professional and donor forums
- Reports to Palladium Project Director
- Master's Degree or higher in public health, social sciences, international development, business administration, or a related field.
- At least 15 years of professional experience in reproductive health, family planning, maternal and neonatal health, child health, nutrition, with significant experience in project management and service delivery
- Context working with bilateral donors and multi-sector stakeholders, USAID experience required
- 8 years of experience in management and supervisory role with increasing responsibility; experience managing technical and administrative staff in satellite locations desired
- At least 5 years of experience leading health development programs (Chief of Party, Team Leader, Project Director, or equivalent)
- At least 5 years of experience in the field, preferably in Francophone West Africa
- Demonstrated experience working with collaboratively with non-health sectors (economic growth, agriculture, resilience, environment) to achieve broader development objectives
- Strong interpersonal, writing, presentation, and organizational skills required
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office
- Demonstrated problem solving, analytic, financial, and evaluative skills
- Knowledge of project management methodology
- Attention to detail and ability to effectively and efficiently perform multiple tasks and balance competing priorities often within a required timeframe
- Ability to respond and adapt quickly to changing requirements and competing demands
- Ability to take initiative and/or respond independently to situations
- Fluency in English and French