Director of Strategic Information - Madagascar
Company OverviewPalladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and RoleThe upcoming award will be a 5-year USAID funded activity in response to the IMPACT Request for Information. USAID/Madagascar anticipates awarding one five-year contract to apply an integrated approach to sustainably increase the availability and accessibility of quality health products. The project is designed to use TMA to maximize the relative strengths of public, private, and commercial actors and focuses on products and services in the areas of family planning/reproductive health, maternal and child health and malaria. The aim is also to strengthen the capacity of the Government of Madagascar to manage supply of pharmaceuticals and health commodities; encourage the expansion of commercial actors into new markets; and support social marketing to increase demand for and coverage of essential health products.
Purpose of Position
Key member of the Project Management Team with overall responsibility for overseeing knowledge management, research, monitoring and evaluation components of project portfolio. Provides technical assistance to strengthen and ensure the quality of evaluation strategies, monitoring reports and other technical documents. Work towards increasing data demand and use for strategic decision-making in the health sector.
Reports to: Deputy Chief of Party (COP) of an upcoming award
Duration: 5 years
Location: Antananarivo, Madagascar
- Develop Performance Monitoring Plans, Collaborative Learning and Adaptive management (CLA) plans, or other results frameworks for proposals to USAID and other donors Work with project and operations teams to ascertain research and data needs, including identifying key performance indicators (KPIs);
- Lead the design and application of instruments and methods for collecting relevant data. Includes the implementation of quantitative and qualitative research related to health, information systems and/or data use, including study protocol, questionnaire development, consent forms, ethics review applications, data analysis and presentation of findings in multiple communication formats;
- Lead data use activities that include applying assessment tools, designing qualitative case studies, implementing capacity building strategies and providing training, assisting with data analysis and presentation, developing data-informed action plans and other technical assistance as requested;
- Coordinate meetings and liaise with US government and other program staff across organizations to carry out activities as required;
- Coordinate with donor, local government and other implementing partners to carry out project activities and disseminate strategic information as appropriate;
- Develop innovative approaches to visualize data in ways that meet the information needs of targeted data users within a health system as well as for other government ministries;
- Support monitoring, evaluation and reporting activities to partner and donor agencies. Prepare success stories, case studies and other knowledge management products as required;
- Identify Informatics, Communication and Technology (ICT) training needs, includes the design and implementation of training workshops, ongoing mentoring, and monitoring the quality of data collection efforts;
- Ensure that reporting systems are kept lean so as not to reduce operations efficiency
- Assist project/grant managers with the development of logframes and monitoring and evaluation work plans for project activities;
- Prepare terms of reference, study designs and budgets for contracting out research studies to external agencies;
- Ensure compliance with relevant donor and government requirements on data collection and reporting;
- Collate, develop reports and disseminate research findings and lessons learned internally and externally when appropriate;
- Prepare and update monthly, quarterly, and annual monitoring and evaluation plans and reports
- Identify Strategic Information and M&E staffing and funding requirements to carry out assigned tasks;
- From time to time represent the project at meetings, workshops, press conferences, or other forums
- Actively contribute to the strategic direction and planning of the project as needed and other duties as assigned by line manager.
- Post graduate degree in social science, public health, international development, public policy, or related field;
- At least 7 years professional experience in monitoring, evaluation and research of public health programs, especially related to activities leading to effective management of health information systems at national and sub-national levels (at least 3 years where it can be demonstrated that responsibilities have increased to senior management level)
- Experience with management of primary qualitative and quantitative research based on different sources of data and multiple indicators
- Must be familiar with M&E work in rural areas with focus on participatory processes
- Must be willing to undertake regular visits to the provinces and interact with different stakeholders
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, proven ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships across teams and organizations
- Experience conducting market research for social marketing and/or for-profit entities an advantage
- Strong managerial skills with the ability to plan, organize, coordinate, and implement work inputs from several sources and partners, and manage the simultaneous delivery of multiple outputs is required.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze data and make presentations to an audience, either written or oral, in a clear and concise manner
- Strong computer and writing skills with proven ability to write reports for various audiences as well as ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel, SPSS, EPiinfo, STATA, EPIDATA, and Power Point.
- Fluency in Malagasy, English a plus
- Malagasy nationals preferred.