Senior Manager, Agribusiness - Economic Growth
Company OverviewPalladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and RoleEconomic Growth at The Palladium Group is a dynamic practice with talented colleagues working toward the goal of reducing poverty in the developing world. Palladium has led more than 250 economic growth projects in over 100 countries, lifting hundreds of thousands of people out of poverty. We work with public and private partners to identify and address the most critical roadblocks to economic growth and agricultural development. With an emphasis on long-term sustainability, Palladium builds market-driven networks of capable partners to: link suppliers to buyers; fill skills gaps; strengthen supply chains; widen access to finance, transfer productivity-enhancing technology, speed up border clearance processes, and improve transport and logistics services. Palladium is implementing economic and agricultural development projects in dozens of countries worldwide, including new programs in Malawi, Peru, El Salvador and Lebanon.
Palladium is a new name for a global company that has a 50+year history of catalyzing positive impact for development institutions and for corporations. If you have expertise in agricultural value chains; FtF (Feed the Future); M4P (Markets for the Poor); private sector development; access to finance; public-private partnerships; workforce development; trade; natural resources management; or economic policy reform we would be interested in hearing from you.
Palladium is a catalyst. Help us bring positive impact to economies and people around the world!
Purpose: Support and lead Palladium projects across the globe principally financed by USAID which have agricultural development, market access, expanded financial access, and investment goals and objectives. The Senior Manager will provide business development support, technical project management inputs and technical expertise to these projects as needed. The role reports to Vice President, Economic Growth.
ResponsibilitiesLead and participate in technical assignments:
- Lead short-term inputs and/or consultancy assignments on topics such as agricultural value chain development, agricultural production, market access, agribusiness finance, digital finance, capital mobilization, investment services, SME growth, and other relevant topics.
- Provide technical input into the design, planning and delivery of international development projects for USAID and other international donors;
- Provide support to monitoring and quality-assuring Palladium's services;
- Contribute to research, analysis and publication of technical reports, case studies, policy and program approaches, and results summaries on topics related to expanded agribusiness growth, access to finance, and investment facilitation in developing countries to demonstrate thought leadership;
- Identify, build and maintain relationships with partners and consultants that can provide technical expertise to Palladium-managed projects;
- Work with others in the Economic Growth Practice to promote and build Palladium's technical capability.
- Write technical proposals principally targeting USAID opportunities in the agribusiness development space based on best practices applied to specific country contexts;
- Manage the identification, assessment, and pursuit of new business opportunities, contributing to the analysis of our prospects for winning opportunities.
- Act as Project Director on assigned projects
- Support Project Directors in the performance management of project teams
- For assigned portfolio projects, interface with clients and other project stakeholders to plan, implement, review, and report on projects as needed and requested;
- Provide support to project work planning, budgeting, and progress/financial reporting;
- Provide technical support to projects as required;
- Manage partner organizations (such as subcontractors) on the contractually compliant delivery of agreed inputs and achievement of agreed outputs and outcomes.
- Fluency in English.
- Master's degree in a business, agribusiness, agricultural economics, or a relevant field.
- Minimum of 12 years relevant work experience in several or all of the following topics: agricultural value chain development, marketing, access to finance, capital mobilization, investment services, , SME growth, agribusiness finance, private sector development, agricultural policy reform, and investment promotion.
- Minimum of 4 years of client project management with government clients, and/or business development experience that includes management of one or more projects including experience in start-up and closeout.
- Preferred: 4 years of experience in working in a developing country or in a project-based environment.
- Preferred: Proficiency in one or more of the following languages: French, Arabic, Spanish, Portuguese.
- Understanding of relevant client programs and policy.
- Familiarity with developing country contexts where Palladium implements its projects.
- Strong technical writing skills.
- Project management training and experience.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to conceptualize and write a bid proposal or project report.
- Sound business development and client relationship management skills.
- People management skills.
- Financial acumen and the ability to interpret and analyze financial reports.
- Sound problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Preferred: Willingness to travel and work abroad a minimum of eight weeks per year in developing countries and elsewhere