Senior Technical Advisor, Trade Policy and Enabling Environment - Egypt
Company OverviewPalladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and RolePalladium seeks a Senior Technical Advisor, Trade Policy and Enabling Environment for the anticipated USAID-funded Trade Reform and Development in Egypt (TRADE) project. The project will aim to increase Egypt?s exports and investments to improve the share of exports to GDP, increase the number of new exporters, and narrow the trade deficit. The project will have three primary objectives, each of which will be led by an assigned Component Lead: 1) Enhanced capacity of new and expanding export-ready enterprises to increase sales and reach new markets in selected sectors; 2) Strengthened public and private trade-support institutions that assist SMEs to compete in the international marketplace; and 3) Improved trade and investment policy, regulatory and institutional environment.
Purpose of Position
The Component 3 Lead will lead implementation of all activities aimed at achieving project Objective 3: Improved trade and investment policy, regulatory and institutional environment.
Duration: 5 years
Location: Cairo, Egypt
- Leads technical implementation and manages policy-related efforts under Objective 3.
- Identifies major policy constraints hindering NEEREs? exports in the targeted sectors.
- Collaborates with key stakeholders to design reforms that are locally-owned, widely vetted, and strongly supported.
- Leads efforts to design and institutionalize a transparent, results-oriented Private-Sector Advocacy Program in support of reforms to improve trade and investment policy and regulatory environment that enables key stakeholders (business associations) to articulate policy positions, translate them into specific recommendations, assess their impact (e.g. rapid impact assessment), and advocate to the relevant government bodies for implementation or enactment.
- Leads adaptive approaches to policy initiatives, analyzing results and pivoting to adjust activities where necessary when meeting unanticipated delays or roadblocks.
- Leads efforts to assist the recently established Food Safety Authority (FSA) to be an effective and fully functional authority.
- Manages technical assistance provided to the FSA to meet their mandate and works with staff to develop a comprehensive work plan, including interventions, concrete results, and specific milestones.
- Leads design and implementation of capacity building and soft skills training efforts for the Ministry of Investment and International Cooperation (MIIC).
- Leads activities to assist MIIC to implement process reforms and overall change management.
- Leads activities to work with GOE to develop plan to deliver on its Trade Facilitation Agreement (TFA).
- Manages delivery of TA to support bilateral Trade and Investment Framework Agreement discussions between the GOE and the US Government.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Advanced degree in business, economics, marketing, finance, or other closely related field.
- Fluency in Arabic and English required.
- At least five years? in trade policy development and reform activities in Egypt.
- At least three years? experience on donor-funded projects for economic growth.
- Experience working directly to target vulnerable groups into market opportunities