Vice President, Business Development
Company OverviewPalladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and RoleThe purpose of this role is to lead regional business development and business growth through input into business development strategy, identification and development of new business opportunities, leading communication, marketing and outreach, providing oversight for recruitment for existing vacancies and bid positions and managing the overall proposal development process.
ResponsibilitiesThe primary responsibility of the VP, Business Development is to lead and coordinate business development ensuring profitable business development strategies that drive business growth across all practice areas, and oversee and coordinate effective, efficient and timely recruitment. This needs to be achieved with minimal business risks and with due consideration for corporate and statutory compliance requirements.In particular, the VP will be expected to:
Manage the proposal development process
- Ensure that the capture process, from lead generation through submission, is efficient, well-organized and appropriately resourced, and that proposals meet the highest standards of quality, are compliant, and error-free.
- Identify potential business opportunities at an early stage by analyzing funding trends and project cycles in target countries and topic areas (principally Health, Economic Growth, Governance, M&E, and ICT).
- Coordinate proposal development from early stage teaming through submission, including:
- Teaming and engaging with implementing partners
- Preparing management/corporate capabilities/past performance sections of technical proposals
- Pricing/preparation of cost proposals
- Editing/formatting technical and cost proposals
- Submission and post-submission engagement with USAID Missions
- Manage the "step review" process under which opportunities are analyzed and considered for support
- Provide ongoing updates to an internal database that links expected bid outcomes to corporate financial projections
- Sourcing/recruiting candidates for long-term positions in proposals, verifying/vetting candidates, negotiating/preparing offers, writing compelling CVs and staffing sections of proposals
- Sourcing/recruiting candidates for ongoing projects that require additional staff (including the above functions)
- Recruiting and vetting candidates for Palladium Americas positions (principally in Washington, DC)
- Overseeing the University Professionals program, which is a corporate initiative to identify and hire versatile high-quality entry-level (BA or MA-level) candidates for positions in our North Carolina, Washington, DC, and New York City locations
- Establish relationships and effectively articulate our experiences and unique offerings to other implementing partners, clients (USAID/Centers for Disease Control/Department of State, and corporates), and Missions
- Prioritization of corporate sponsorships at event.
- Participation in events (such as job fairs) including the development of compelling materials for distribution
- Work closely with Palladium external communications team to make effective use of social media channels to optimize external awareness of Palladium's unique perspectives and experiences
- Work closely with Palladium practice areas and external communications team to develop new Palladium Americas marketing collateral across all practice areas, consistent with Palladium's corporate branding specifications
Interface with Palladium's other Regional Partnerships
- Work with Palladium Regional Partnerships in London, Brisbane, Jakarta, and others to capitalize on synergies and relevant corporate capacities/past performance
RequirementsMinimum education and experience required
- Relevant bachelor's degree or post graduate qualification in business related discipline.
- Total minimum of 15 years relevant work experience.
- Minimum 7 years' experience in a senior role in a major organization preferably in an international development environment.
- Ability to operate in complex situations.
- Exceptional leadership and communication skills.
- Substantial experience in marketing of services and developing business plans.
- Proven experience in tendering and bid development for large scale projects.
- Proven experience in leading and managing multidisciplinary and business development teams.
- Ability to develop high level strategic relationships in an international environment.
- Financial acumen and the ability to interpret and analyse financial reports.
- Willingness to travel abroad.