Five reasons you should be applying for SPRING
This week’s BEAM Exchange Conference 2016 (Lusaka, Zambia 19-20 May) offers an opportunity to discuss the most powerful strategies in achieving systemic change. Ultimately, we want to ensure our development projects maximise positive impact for the communities in which we work.
One such project demonstrating powerful and transformative change for communities, in particular girls, is our SPRING programme. SPRING is Palladium’s accelerator working with growth-oriented businesses on innovations that can transform the lives of poor and vulnerable girls aged 10-19 living across East Africa and South Asia. We work with world-class experts to support these businesses to create innovations with purpose and commercial potential.
The SPRING business accelerator – funded by DFID, USAID, and Nike Foundation, with additional strategic support from Girl Effect - transforms the lives of adolescent girls by creating sustainable markets for life-enhancing products and services. These products and services help girls keep safe, learn, earn, and save without harm. SPRING operates in nine-month blocks with cohorts of up to 20 enterprises. The first cohort included businesses from Rwanda, Uganda and Kenya and ended in March 2016.
Applications for Cohort 2 closing soon!
The second round of applications last month opened for innovative entrepreneurs and businesses in Pakistan, Nepal and Bangladesh. The application window closes 31 May. SPRING is looking for businesses who are serious about social impact, and innovating their product or service.
Is your business legally registered in Bangladesh, Nepal or Pakistan? Does your business have the ability to help girls earn, learn, save or keep safe?
Here’s 5 reasons you should be applying to SPRING Accelerator:
1. To make the world a better, safer place for girls. Well-designed products or services can give a girl the space and security she needs to learn, the time she needs to work, and the ability to launch a business of her own.
2. Tap into world-class Human-Centred Design expertise from San Francisco based design firm fuseproject. A dedicated team of leading industrial design experts work with our participants closely over nine-months. The firm has innovated and advised the world’s most powerful brands, from Silicon Valley and beyond.
3. Connect, network, collaborate and learn from peers: our Boot Camps bring a diverse mix of incredible local and global minds from a number of different industries. Share ideas and challenges, learn more about the business ecosystem in another country, study new approaches and become part of an inspiring and unique group of business leaders.
4. SPRING local Country Managers are respected experts in their fields. Build a relationship with a local leader and leverage their expertise.
5. Inform DFID, USAID, Nike Foundation, and the world, by sharing with us what worked, and what didn’t, throughout your journey innovating for girls.
Register and apply online HERE!
Girls…the right and smart investment
When girls have the freedom to learn, earn, and save without harm, their health and wellbeing increases, they become empowered to make their own decisions and take control of their own lives.
Investing in girls is the right thing to do, and the smart thing to do. When girls have opportunities, whole families become stronger both economically and socially, student numbers increase, agricultural productivity goes up, while rates of child marriage, teen pregnancy, and HIV/AIDS go down.
Right now, products and services are rarely designed for, marketed to, or distributed to the majority of the world’s adolescent girls — they are an underserved market. Girls have enormous potential. Well-designed products or services can give a girl the space and security she needs to learn, the time she needs to work, and the ability to launch a business of her own.
SPRING transforms the lives of adolescent girls by creating sustainable markets for life-enhancing products and services. These products and services help girls keep safe, learn, earn, and save without harm. The SPRING Accelerator identifies ventures with products that can improve the lives of girls and provides leading expertise in business growth, investment-readiness, design, innovation, and marketing to help drive their business models forward.
By 2019 SPRING aims to reach 200,000 girls in 8 countries. We believe the impact of the successful entrepreneurs and the investment they stimulate will lead to a broader shift in markets that enable girls and their communities to end the cycle of poverty.