Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role
The USAID Health Sector Resiliency (HSR) Project supports the Ministry of Public Health (MoPH) to implement critical sector-wide reforms that will be required to increase the resiliency and self-sufficiency of the health sector and move towards sustainability. The HSR Project primarily focuses on improving the health sector's stewardship, governance, financing and human resources. The project engages both the public and private components of the health sector and supports the MoPH to strengthen and reform its systems at both central and subnational levels. The overall objectives of the project are: 1) improved health sector governance and accountability; 2) increased domestic financing for priority health services; and 3) strengthened MoPH human resources systems and operations.
Palladium is seeking a Senior Associate to provide technical and program administrative support in the implementation of project activities on the Health Sector Resiliency (HSR) Project - Afghanistan. This is a full-time, mid-level position based in Washington, DC. The incumbent will be involved in the design, background research, management and technical oversight of program implementation in Afghanistan and other countries as needed/requested. Primary responsibility will be to assist US-based and field technical staff with HSR program implementation including assessments and reviews, qualitative and quantitative analysis, coordination/oversight of technical initiatives, drafting of, input to and/or review of technical documents, including final project products/deliverables, and administrative tasks and internal processes related to ongoing technical activities. This position is based in DC Office and reports to the Project Director.
- Provide general project backstopping technical support and research assistance to management and technical staff for project activities, as well as regional and other country work;
- Assist with deliverables finalization and tracking; general monitoring and evaluation and reporting;
- Contribute briefs and news items to websites and assist with promotion and dissemination of project materials;
- Draft and edit briefs and presentations based on project work;
- Provide administrative support including tracking technical assistance, interfacing with HSR programs/platforms, and monitoring project budgets;
- Provide planning support and implementation oversight for project technical activities, project consultancies, sub activities, technical events and conferences (e.g., maintain communication with sub teams, working groups and participants);
- Maintain project-wide communication channels and interface with project staff and platforms according to the management team's needs;
- Recruit and coordinate activities with project consultants and assist with reviewing consultant deliverables;
- Liaison with technical subcontractors regarding progress, performance, deliverables, etc.;
- Organize technical calls, meetings and take notes as needed;
- Assist with proposal development for new business initiatives as requested;
- Coordinate working groups, in collaboration with technical staff - health financing technical group, governance working group, etc.;
- Develop and actively share lessons-learned and best-practices with other technical staff in the company;
- Represent the project and company at technical events and with others in the professional community as requested;
- Retrieve journal articles, conduct background research/literature reviews;
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Minimum education and experience required Mid-level position. MPH or MA in international development, international relations, public policy, or related field; at least 6 years working in the international development/health area. Must be willing to travel to Afghanistan.
Familiarity with USAID-supported projects (experience in Afghanistan a plus)
Familiarity with international health and/or other social sectors required
Familiarity with health finance, governance, human resources for health and/or public-private partnerships (PPPs) desirable
Experience organizing meetings, working groups and other large professional events
Strong organizational and administrative skills with high capacity for attention to detail required
Strong analytical and computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, web-based research, SPSS and/or Stata)
Ability to multi-task and keep track of concurrent activities and deadlines
Excellent writing and communication skills
Experience with social media, or willingness to learn (e.g., Twitter) as needed and appropriate to project
Experience overseeing technical subcontractors and/or consultants a plus
Inquisitive and proactive
Ability to work in a team and communicate effectively with diverse cultural and professional staff members
Aims to beat expectations - excellent skills in managing assigned workload
Experience working in developing countries
Key competencies and professional expertise required The Senior Associate should have some experience in the following areas: governance, public administration, health finance, management improvement, anti-corruption, decentralization, quality improvement, policy development, advocacy, citizen engagement and strategic planning. Reporting requirements The Senior Associate in Health reports to the Project Director. The Senior Associate works closely with the Project Director, technical staff and experts to provide support and guidance to project field team including the Chief of Party, Deputy Chief of Party and technical leads. The work will also require close collaboration with and technical oversight of key subcontractors, consultants and other partners and stakeholders