Value Chain Senior Consultant
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role
Maharashtra State Skill Development Society (MSSDS), under Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojna (PMKVY 2.0), is implementing Chatrapati Rajaram Maharaj Entrepreneurship and Skill Development Mission in association with SIMACES Learning LLP, Pune (SIILC) and Palladium Consulting India Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi (PCIPL). 2,82,000 young farmers from 34 districts across the state, as a part of this mission, will first undergo a 3-day 'Group Farming Orientation Training' and then attend an 8-week 'Group Farming Promoter Bridge Course'. In first phase of this initiative, a total of 6 districts, Nagpur, Vardha and Chandrapur in Vidharbha, and Latur, Beed and Nanded in Marathwada will be covered.
The National Skills Development Corporation
has tasked the Partner Implementation Agency
(PIA) to achieve the vision described above. PIA is comprised of three delivery partners who are jointly responsible for delivery of desired outputs and outcomes:
- Maharashtra State Skills Development Society (MSSDS) oversees program delivery and ensures mobilisation of local government agencies, participants and assessment providers.
- SIMACES Learning LLP (SIILC) delivers the training and Bridge course and manages seamless field operations through coordination with local government agencies.
- Palladium Consulting India Private Limited (PCIPL) is responsible for Strategic Planning, Project & Quality Management, Project Operations and Support, Project Monitoring & Evaluation, MIS Platform & Management and Stakeholder Management at the central office
We seek to integrate small-scale farmers into farmer groups with the aim of it leading to improved use of good agricultural practices, including use of goods, services and better access to off-takers, which will eventually contribute to improve increased productivity and incomes for rural farming communities.
Reading materials has been developed for the entire RPL orientation and Bridge program. The farmers in addition to being provided the group farming on boarding kit are also given the academic content that is delivered during the RPL & bridge sessions.
Through the Value Added Services (VAS) component of the programme, MSDP seeks to nurture inclusive agri-business models that offer potential of financial and social returns to market actors and smallholder households. MSDP seeks to do so by:
- Undertaking market diagnostics and value chain appraisals.
- Identifying value chain constraints that are causing inefficiencies.
- Co-creating and trialling different business models with a range of different market actors, from national agri-businesses to local market actors such as Farmer Producer Organisations of Companies (FPOs / FPCs).
- Buying down the initial risk and addressing the high start-up costs associated with innovation, e.g. through the provision of cost-sharing grants.
- Building the capacity of market actors such that they have the skills and understanding to secure benefit from the business models and the changing market environment.
- Facilitating linkages between businesses and informal enterprises, including FPOs / FPCs.
- Liaising with market actors and smallholders about what works (and what doesn't work), for whom, how and why, and helping partners to adapt business models where relevant.
- Promoting uptake of viable business models and liaising with government stakeholders where necessary about the policy environment.
The Value Chain Senior Consultant is responsible to design and catalyse the implementation of a step change transformation in selected agriculture value chains. They manage and oversee the Value Chain Consultants working in their teams.
Value Chain Senior Consultants work in close collaboration with local and international experts, the Funding and Market Linkages Team, all the FPO teams and farmers working in the value chains and many partner organizations contributing to the overall transformation.
2.Roles and Responsibilities
- Conducts analyses of value chains of selected commodities in specific regional areas.
- Develops strategies to introduce innovation and sustainable business models to increase sector competitiveness.
- Negotiates deals with other businesses and enterprises as partners and facilitators to introduce innovative business models.
- Oversees the implementation of designed strategies.
- Monitors the progress and adjust strategies to successfully transform the commodity's value chain into a more competitive one.
- Acts as the key point of contact / local point for the interventions in business partnering with the program.
- Other tasks as reasonably requested by the Business and Advisory Teams Coordinator.
- Post-graduate level qualifications or higher in economics, business administration, marketing, finance, social sciences or similar discipline from a reputable university
- A sound understanding of business and economics of how markets work, specifically in India.
- Entrepreneurial aptitude.
- Strong analytical mind and a flair for numbers.
- Demonstrated negotiation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills to be able to work with partners and in teams.
- Talented at guiding and leading others.
- Ability and experience in business plan development.
- Willingness to learn from mistakes and ability to think 'out-of-the-box'.
- A good understanding of the role public services plays in relation to economic performance.
- Fluency in English and Mahrati.
- Proven work experience in supply chain management, business consulting, management, finance, marketing or agribusiness is an advantage.
- Involvement in extra-curricular university activities is an advantage.
- Experience in development is not required.
- Reports to the Project Manager or his/her delegate.
- Closely cooperates with team members in training and advisory teams.
- Works closely with the Funding and Market Linkages Team.